There were many battles fought between the French and English settlers of the area. The English lived mainly in the settlement of Shoe Cove, 4km away. Many of the Frenchmen were killed and legend has it that today you can still hear the moans of the Frenchmen at the sites where they were killed.
By 1891, there were 104 people living in La Scie. At that time there were 45 Methodist, 33 Roman Catholic, and 26 of the Church of England faith. Although the Methodist built a school in the late 1800's, none of the communities 36 children went to school. The Church of England built its first school in 1909.
In 1911, La Scie had 429 people, two-thirds of whom were Methodist, and the remainder split among the Roman Catholic Church, Church of England and Salvation Army. Each of these denominations had their own church in the community. The first church service in La Scie was held at the home of Jack Ryan.
There were 118 school age children in the community but only 84 attended school. They attended a one room school owned by the Methodist and the Salvation Army. In 1915 the Church of England started their own school. The Roman Catholics shared facilities with the protestants until 1920 when they built their own school. The United Church built their school in 1925 for themselves and the Church of England. Today, 1992, there are five churches in the town. These are Zion United, Bethel Pentecostal, Salvation Army, Anglican and Roman Catholic.
In 1941, the population had grown to 490, the community now had three sawmills operating in the town. They also had a nursing centre. Ten years later, in 1951, the population was 601. Most of the citizens were United. Then in the late 1950's the United Church opened a separate school for kindergartens and grade 1.
In 1955, La Scie became a local service district, and stayed that way until October 1961, when the town was incorporated. At that time La Scie made attempts to form a council but residents voted against it. During that time La Scie had a combined residents and nursing clinic which had a Department of Health doctor that served the area from Shoe Cove to Harbour Round area and Horse Islands.
Due to the mining activities in Baie Verte and the resettlement of residents from Horse Islands in the late 1960's the population of La Scie had dramatically jumped to 1255 in 1971. Mining was a major employer in the 1970's with 28 of La Scies residents working at Rambler Mines in 1976.